Day 32 I have been extracted from the ride
"The key to healing saddle sores is to moisten them with the tears of the riders whose dreams you have crushed." (anonymous) WelI, I don't know how many of you have figured out I had to stop my adventure in Rawlins, Wy. I can't even express how sad I am to tell you I have abandoned the ride. Betty made the 2 day drive to Rawlins and picked me up last Saturday. I have been struggling with a saddle sore for about 3 weeks. I kept on riding hoping it would just go away. The dirt and gravel roads we have been on for the last 5 weeks have been full of potholes and wash board. Lots of the bumps sent a pain through the top of my head. The ride into Rawlins had big headwinds that made it almost impossible to stand and get a butt break. It has been like that for the last 3 days. I had to stop several times and get off my bike to give my butt a little break. Doug is riding strong and was miles ahead of me. I know he will wait for me, but I don't think it's fair to hold him up any longer. The only way to make my sore better is to stay off my bike. We were so close to Colorado, and I was excited to get into the mountains there. Some of the stops in Colorado are iconic must see stops on the ride. The climbs are challenging, you reach a altitude of 11,910 ft but the rewards at the top are invigorating. Doug encouraged me to keep on riding, suggesting maybe a couple of days off would make it better. I know he was not looking forward to riding solo, but I'm so happy he is going on with the ride. He is still heading south and was in Salida, Colorado yesterday. This ride was my dream, and Doug has told over and over, if I had not asked him to go along he would be home. I hope my sore will be better by Saturday Aug 1st in time for the Midnight Century Ride in Spokane. It's a just show up ride that leaves the Elk Restaurant at midnight. It's 100 miles of 50% pavement and 50% gravel. Some of the gravel hills are real leg burners. You get on some pretty gnarly back roads and there is no support. In the past there have been random trail angles along the ride. For example, a guy sitting on the tailgate of his truck at 2 AM offering you a beer as you ride by. On a clear night the night sky is beautiful and sunrise on the Palouse can be amazing. At the end there is just a sheet of paper to sign in, write down your time, and give a brief description of your ride. I assured Betty I will not ride if I'm not totally healed.
![]() |
| Waiting for the start of the Midnight Century ride |

Oh man! Ricky! You were so psyched for this trip! Sorry to hear about the butt pains! Seriously! Get better and stay well…there will always be another journey!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this news Rick! I know how disappointed you must be. Hope you heal fast!
ReplyDelete