My journey is over

 After riding 3650 miles, climbed 116,886 vertical  feet, and went from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean. It is with heavy heart that this is my last post for my bicycle  ride across America. I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful interesting people along the way. Big and little acts of kindness that lifted my spirits. Kim and his wife that offered  me shelter and food on a rainy  day in Port Angeles. The closed bicycle  shop in Okanagan, Wa that opened  on a Saturday  morning  to replace my seat post. The Lutheran church in Havillah, Wa that provided  me shelter and food. The people at the top of Boulder Pass  that give me water when I needed it. Rodney in Lolo, Mt that shared his apple crisp. The family  that gave me and my  bicycle  a ride to Gillette, wy when my rear wheel failed. Doug Hirsch that kept my ride alive when he arranged  a new wheel to be delivered  to Gillette, Wy in a timely manner. Allison and Alvin Bell that gave me a ride from Gillette  to Mitchell, Sd to catch up the 4 days I  was stuck in Gillette. I was able to make it to the start of Ragbrai. Paul and Cindy Gilbert  in Davenport, Ia let me stay in their home a couple of days to  plan  my route east of the Mississippi and get my bicycle chain replaced.  The people camping next to me  in Ohiopyle Dave,Josh, and their wives that gave me dinner. All the Warmshower hosts that were so generous. Gary and Jan that put me up for the night,fed me, then in the morning Gary  drove me over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  My nephew David that let me stay with him for a week as I went in to Washington Dc. He also picked me up in Rehoboth and took me back to his house. Thanks to everyone for helping complete my journey. It's  good to be home, great to see Betty. Our cat Max was happy to see me. We saw the first Monarch Butterfly in our yard. I'm back to cooking  and making yummy side  dishes. Planning my next adventure September 23 a 4 day backpack North Rim to South Rim of the Grand Canyon.













Comments

  1. But...There's No Place Like Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! What an amazing achievement. Thanks for letting us tide along with you, virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back home! I know they were all glad to get you back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a great trip that very few people could do!
    Enjoyed reading about the journey each night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on completing your life long dream and welcome home. Thank you for posting on your blog. We all got to enjoy this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a spectacular adventure! -Linda G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Home, what a grand adventure! I am going to miss your updates, I looked forward to them every evening. Huge accomplishment Rick. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fun tagging along virtually on your great bike ride across America Rick! I loved reading your posts and seeing your pictures. I'm glad you made it to RAGBRAI. Can't wait to see you and Aunt Betty again! ~ Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Rick! Glad we connected. Check in the next time you're out this way - there's still a lot you didn't see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home sweet home - at least for a couple of weeks. Congratulations on this huge accomplishment! Sadly for me, I guess I’m back to just reading the morning news instead of your Big Ride blog….looking forward to hopefully seeing you this fall/winter!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Night before we leave for Forks. Wa

Day 50 Harbeson, De to Rehoboth Beach, De